The Instituto Español de Oceanografía (Spanish Institute of Oceanography ), IEO, is a public research organization, with a variety of activities.
• Conducting oceanographic research.
• Advising the Spanish government on its oceanographic and fishing policies.
• Representing Spain in international oceanography and fishing organisations.
• Promoting co-operation in marine research at the regional, national and international levels.
• Training oceanographers and disseminating oceanographic knowlegde
The IEO researches into the marine resources in general, problems related to oceanography and the contamination of the sea environment and its products. By doing this, the Institute tries to orient its research in such a way that the results may serve as support to the advisers and offer concrete answers to the Public Administration with reference to the sea, the rational use and protection of it. Due to the fact that it is a State Institution, the IEO represents the Spanish Government before international oceanographic organisations and commissions.
Shrimp ban begins in Pacific waters Mexico
The National Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture announced the start of the fishing ban for all species of shrimp in marine waters of the Pacific Ocean since Monday 10 March.
Safeway and Albertsons to merge United States
Giant food retailer Safeway Inc. and Albertsons announced a definitive agreement under which AB Acquisition LLC will acquire all outstanding shares of Safeway.