The Instituto Español de Oceanografía (Spanish Institute of Oceanography ), IEO, is a public research organization, with a variety of activities.
• Conducting oceanographic research.
• Advising the Spanish government on its oceanographic and fishing policies.
• Representing Spain in international oceanography and fishing organisations.
• Promoting co-operation in marine research at the regional, national and international levels.
• Training oceanographers and disseminating oceanographic knowlegde
The IEO researches into the marine resources in general, problems related to oceanography and the contamination of the sea environment and its products. By doing this, the Institute tries to orient its research in such a way that the results may serve as support to the advisers and offer concrete answers to the Public Administration with reference to the sea, the rational use and protection of it. Due to the fact that it is a State Institution, the IEO represents the Spanish Government before international oceanographic organisations and commissions.
Drugs discovered on board Greenlandic trawler Iceland
A fourth crew member of fishing vessel Polar Nanoq, which sails under the flag of Greenland, was arrested in the Icelandic port of Hafnarfjordur, after the police discovered a large quantity of hashish aboard.
Brussels validates Spanish fisheries control system Spain
The European Commission has notified Spain that it considers finalized the implementation of the action plan to remedy deficiencies in the Spanish fisheries control system, which was established by Decision of the EC on 30 July 2012.