The Instituto Español de Oceanografía (Spanish Institute of Oceanography ), IEO, is a public research organization, with a variety of activities.
• Conducting oceanographic research.
• Advising the Spanish government on its oceanographic and fishing policies.
• Representing Spain in international oceanography and fishing organisations.
• Promoting co-operation in marine research at the regional, national and international levels.
• Training oceanographers and disseminating oceanographic knowlegde
The IEO researches into the marine resources in general, problems related to oceanography and the contamination of the sea environment and its products. By doing this, the Institute tries to orient its research in such a way that the results may serve as support to the advisers and offer concrete answers to the Public Administration with reference to the sea, the rational use and protection of it. Due to the fact that it is a State Institution, the IEO represents the Spanish Government before international oceanographic organisations and commissions.
Horse mackerel fishing right case postponed Namibia
The case between several firms holding horse mackerel fishing rights and the minister of fisheries and marine resources has been postponed to February next year by a judge after hearing oral arguments.
Shipowners claim rule change on sharks Spain
The ban on onboard shark processing to separate bodies from fins, presented by the European Commission as a necessary measure to prevent finning has again been ignored, for the sixth time, by the ICCAT.