The Instituto Español de Oceanografía (Spanish Institute of Oceanography ), IEO, is a public research organization, with a variety of activities.
• Conducting oceanographic research.
• Advising the Spanish government on its oceanographic and fishing policies.
• Representing Spain in international oceanography and fishing organisations.
• Promoting co-operation in marine research at the regional, national and international levels.
• Training oceanographers and disseminating oceanographic knowlegde
The IEO researches into the marine resources in general, problems related to oceanography and the contamination of the sea environment and its products. By doing this, the Institute tries to orient its research in such a way that the results may serve as support to the advisers and offer concrete answers to the Public Administration with reference to the sea, the rational use and protection of it. Due to the fact that it is a State Institution, the IEO represents the Spanish Government before international oceanographic organisations and commissions.
Shrimp trawling responsible for the highest bycatch Worldwide
Shrimp trawling accounts for more bycatch volume than any other fishery type but efforts to reduce bycatch can make a positive difference, concludes a report about bycatch in the wild shrimp sector released by Sustainable Fisheries Partnership.
Nestle accused of using slave-caught fish United States
Swiss food giant Nestle is being sued in the United States for allegedly purchasing fish from a Thai supplier suspected of being involved in slave labour.
Copyright 1995 - 2015 Fish Info & Services Co.Ltd| All Rights Reserved. DISCLAIMER