The Instituto Español de Oceanografía (Spanish Institute of Oceanography ), IEO, is a public research organization, with a variety of activities.
• Conducting oceanographic research.
• Advising the Spanish government on its oceanographic and fishing policies.
• Representing Spain in international oceanography and fishing organisations.
• Promoting co-operation in marine research at the regional, national and international levels.
• Training oceanographers and disseminating oceanographic knowlegde
The IEO researches into the marine resources in general, problems related to oceanography and the contamination of the sea environment and its products. By doing this, the Institute tries to orient its research in such a way that the results may serve as support to the advisers and offer concrete answers to the Public Administration with reference to the sea, the rational use and protection of it. Due to the fact that it is a State Institution, the IEO represents the Spanish Government before international oceanographic organisations and commissions.
Anoxia and ocean warming cause scallop death Peru
A study on the status of the environmental quality of the bay of Pisco-Paracas conducted by the Instituto del Mar del Peru revealed that the recent mass death of scallops recorded in the area was due to the lack of oxygen and to high water temperature.
BPA found to adversely affect fish reproduction United States
Fish exposed to the endocrine-disrupting chemical bisphenol A (BPA) can pass adverse reproductive effects onto their offspring up to three generations later, shows a new scientific study.