IN BRIEF - Official says Taiwan hopes to ink new fishery deal soon
Saturday, January 19, 2013
Taiwan hopes to sign an agreement with Japan on fishery rights as soon as possible, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said yesterday in the wake of a report that Japan hopes to ink the deal in the first half of this year.
“We hope to have it [the agreement] signed as soon as possible,” ministry spokesman Steve Hsia said.
He made the remarks in response to a report published on Wednesday that said Japan’s representative to Taiwan, Sumio Tarui, expressed hope in a speech in Taipei that Taiwan and Japan can ink a fishery agreement no later than the first half of this year.
Taiwan and Japan held a preparatory meeting in November to discuss a resumption of formal fishery talks to address the issue of fishing rights in the waters surrounding the disputed Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea, Hsia said.
No timetable has been set for the next meeting, although Taiwan and Japan have a common goal of resuming talks as soon as possible, he said.
The previous 16 rounds of talks, dating back to 1996, failed to deliver concrete results, but Taiwanese officials have expressed hope that progress will be achieved when talks resume.
Taiwan and Japan last held talks on fishing rights in their overlapping territories in 2009, but discussions have been stalled since then.
Taiwanese fishermen consider the waters near the Diaoyutais as their traditional fishing grounds, but are routinely chased away by Japanese authorities when venturing too close to what Japan sees as its territorial waters.
JAKARTA - Seventeen countries are to take part in maritime joint exercise in Yogyakarta of Indonesia from March 30 to April 1 2015, Indonesian officer on Wednesday 25th.
The drill, dubbed "the 6th Maritime Security Deskop Exercise or MSDE" aims at strengthening coordination among the participating countries in combating crimes at sea at the region, said Edi Fernandi, head of Indonesian maritime security board.
"Many countries have put the prevention on the violation at sea as priority after experiencing many of such violations which has occurred at the global sea territory," he said at his office.
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Giant Eagle Inc. is voluntarily recalling its Giant Eagle brand Japanese Breaded Cod Fillets, prepared and sold from the Seafood Departments of its Giant Eagle and Market District stores through Monday, March 23 2015, because of an undeclared soy allergen.
People who are allergic to soy or have a severe sensitivity to soy are at risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products, the Pittsburgh-based grocer said. The cod fillets are safe to eat by those who do not have soy allergies.
SeaDragon reports on March the 26th 2015 sales for the year to 31 March 2015 will be around NZD 6.5 million, more than twice the NZD 3.1 million sales achieved in the prior year as the company benefits from strong raw material supply and forward sales agreements struck last year.
New Zealand’s largest refiner and blender of high-quality fish oils expects to report an operating loss (loss before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) for the year as it continues to invest to position itself ahead of the start up of the new refinery.
SeaDragon, which manufactures fish oil for health supplements, has terminated a contract with a charter vessel that supplied deep-sea shark liver oil and signed two new supply agreements, highlighting the challenge of ensuring it can source enough raw material.
The Nelson-based company today said sales for the year ending March 31 will be about NZD 6.5 million, up from NZD 3.1 million a year earlier. Costs related to the start-up of its new refinery for producing its second product stream, Omega 3 rich fish oils used in supplements, mean it will post an operating loss in the period, it said.
The BBRSDA announced Heyano's resignation on March 25 2015, expressing sincere regret at his decision, while inviting letters of interest from Alaska resident holders of Bristol Bay drift permits interested in serving the balance of Heyano's term, which ends in mid-2016.
No reason was given for Heyano's decision to leave the association, of which he was a founding member.
MADURAI - A court in Seychelles released two Indian fishing boats and their captains on Tuesday 24th of March 2015, almost two months after they were arrested and jailed on charges of crossing that country's territorial waters, said Kanyakumari district collector Sajjan Singh R Chavan.
The Seychelles Coast Guard apprehended 21 fishermen - 13 from Thoothoor in Tamil Nadu and eight from Kerala - and their two deep sea fishing boats on January 28. The fishermen set sail from Kochi on January 15.
On March 2, the court allowed 19 of them to leave the country while the captains of the vessels -- S Gracious from Eraviputhanthurai and M Jerine from Colachel -- remained in jail.
Oslo, Norway - Reference is made to the stock exchange release issued on 20 March 2015, where Marine Harvest ASA ("Marine Harvest" or the "Company") announced that bondholders representing an aggregate principal loan amount of EUR 348 million under the EUR 350million five year convertible bond issued by Marine Harvest in 2013 (ISIN NO0010679152) had elected to convert their bonds into shares.
The conversion has now been completed and Marine Harvest's share capital has been increased by NOK 297,809,197.50 through the issuance of 39,707,893 new shares. The share capital increase was registered in the Norwegian Register of Business Enterprises on 25 March 2015 and following such registration Marine Harvest has a share capital of NOK 3,375,642,390 divided into 450,085,652 shares each with a par value of NOK 7.5.
Marine Harvest: MHG - Share capital increase registered
This is a joint press release by Nutreco N.V. and SHV Investments Ltd. pursuant to the provisions of section 17 paragraph 4 of the Decree on Public Takeover Bids (Besluit openbare biedingen Wft) in connection with the recommended public offer by SHV Investments Ltd. for all the issued and outstanding ordinary shares in the capital of Nutreco N.V. This announcement does not constitute an offer, or any solicitation of any offer, to buy or subscribe for any securities in Nutreco N.V. Any offer will be made only by means of the Offer Memorandum. This announcement is not for release, publication or distribution, in whole or in part, in or into, directly or indirectly, Canada and Japan. Terms not defined in this press release will have the meaning as set forth in the offer memorandum dated 5 December 2014.
Amersfoort / Utrecht, the Netherlands, 25 March 2015 - Nutreco N.V. ("Nutreco") and SHV Investments Ltd. (the "Offeror"), an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of SHV Holdings N.V. ("SHV"), are pleased to announce that during the post-closing acceptance period (na-aanmeldingstermijn) that ended on 25 March 2015 at 17:40 hours, CET, (the "Post-Closing Acceptance Period"), 1,524,854 issued and outstanding ordinary shares in the capital of Nutreco were tendered for acceptance under the Offeror's recommended cash offer to all holders of issued and outstanding ordinary shares in the capital of Nutreco (the "Shares") to acquire their Shares (the "Offer").
The 1,524,854 Shares tendered under the Offer during the Post-Closing Acceptance Period (the "PCAP Shares") represent approximately 2.17% of the issued share capital of Nutreco, approximately 2.27% of the issued and outstanding share capital of Nutreco, and an aggregate value of approximately EUR 68,999,643.5 (at an Offer Price of EUR 45.25 (cum dividend) in cash per Share).
The 19,470,145 Shares held indirectly by SHV on 10 March 2015 together with (i) the 45,081,713 Shares tendered under the Offer during the Offer Period that ended on 10 March 2015 at 17.40 hours, CET, and (ii) the 1,524,854 PCAP Shares, amount to a total of 66,076,712 Shares, represent approximately 94.08% of the issued share capital of Nutreco, approximately 98.42%% of the issued and outstanding share capital of Nutreco, and an aggregate value of approximately EUR 2,989,971,218 (at an Offer Price of EUR 45.25 (cum dividend) in cash per Share).
With reference to the Offer Memorandum and the Offeror's press release dated 30 January 2015, Shareholders who accepted the Of
COLUMBIA RIVER — Purse and beach seine gear could be a part of the regular Columbia River commercial salmon fishery on 2015, drawing from the same pool as the rest of the fleet — even when it comes to the number of fish they can keep or handle before everyone has to stop fishing.
Whether or not the new seine fishery will exists has come down to a question of numbers. Specifically, which numbers.
After testing seine gear on the river following a mandate from Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber’s mandate to phase out the use of commercial gillnets on the mainstem of the Columbia, Washington and Oregon’s advisory group, the U.S. v. Oregon Technical Advisory Committee, initially said release morality numbers from the replacement gear (purse and beach seines) were much too high. The group said that while only 8.3 percent of wild steelhead died after being caught in beach seines and released, 34.3 percent of Chinook salmon and 38.4 percent of coho caught in the same nets died.