Nine scientific and trade organizations are pushing for revised DRI's for EPA and DHA omega-3’s. (Photo: Omega3learning.purdue.edu/ FIS)
Consortium issues omega-3 petition
Monday, July 19, 2010, 22:50 (GMT + 9)
A consortium of nine scientific and trade organizations have petitioned the Institute of Medicine to review and update dietary reference intakes (DRI’s) for EPA and DHA omega-3’s.
It is the consortium’s view that newly established DRI’s for EPA and DHA will have a positive public health impact and also assist in advancing understanding of the role these important nutrients play in human nutrition.
This website offers the public an opportunity to view and also openly comment in reference to the petition.
Co-signers of the petition include:
- Global Organization for EPA and DHA Omega-3s
- Council for Responsible NutritionN
- International Omega-3 Learning Consortium for Health and Medicine
- National Fisheries Institute
- National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition
- Natural Products Association
- Seanfood Products Association
- Society for Women's Health Research
- United Natural Products Association