FreshDirect, New York's premier online grocer, is the first retailer in US to offer Verlasso salmon. (Photo: FreshDirect)
Better farmed salmon now available
Thursday, September 29, 2011, 22:40 (GMT + 9)
Verlasso™, the world's first provider of harmoniously raised fish, has launched its premium salmon with FreshDirect, New York City's premier online grocer. FreshDirect is the first retailer in the US to offer Verlasso salmon.
According to the company, its revolutionary, harmonious approach to farming produces a high quality, great tasting salmon that promotes balance between everyone's nutritional needs and the needs of the environment.
"Salmon, like people, get their Omega-3s from their diets. Currently, these Omega-3s come from fish oils provided by wild-caught feeder fish. Our most significant farming innovation is that we use 75 per cent fewer feeder fish to produce healthy salmon rich in Omega-3s," said Scott Nichols, director of Verlasso.
|Farmed salmon. (Photo: Verlasso)
In addition to the ground-breaking reduction of feeder fish, the company is committed to improving its farming methods continuously to ensure customers the best salmon possible today and for generations to come:
- Verlasso salmon are raised in the cold, clean waters of Southern Patagonia, away from industrial development, ensuring a healthier salmon;
- Verlasso salmon swim freely in spacious pens - less than four fish per ton of water - producing a leaner fish than traditionally farmed salmon;
- Every phase of the salmon's life - from egg to harvest - is accounted for, ensuring integrity and freshness all the way to the consumer;
- Growth hormones are never used, so the fish grow at their own natural rate.
"We want our customers at FreshDirect to have access to the freshest and most sustainable seafood options to feed their families a healthy, great tasting product," said Maggie Moon, MS, RD, FreshDirect's nutritionist.
Seafood category manager, Jeff Ludwin, adds that "Verlasso offers our customers a quality sustainable salmon that is unmatched in the marketplace."
FreshDirect is the leading profitable online grocer in the US with customers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. It is known for its fresh-from-the-farm foods and brand-name groceries at everyday low prices, all delivered to customers' doors, according to the company.
- DuPont and AquaChile announce sustainable salmon production partnership