View of the Canton Fair in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, April 15, 2019 organized by Alibaba (Photo: Xinhua)
Jetro will support the overseas business of Japanese companies through the exhibition business Alibaba.com
Friday, July 10, 2020, 06:30 (GMT + 9)
Alibaba.com has launched its first global online trade show after most physical exhibitions were cancelled this year due to the coronavirus pandemic
Jetro support for exhibiting on Alibaba.com, one of the world's largest B to B online exhibitions, and strengthening support for developing overseas sales channels online at Covid-19
Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is an Independent Administrative Institution established by Japan Export Trade Research Organization as a nonprofit corporation in Osaka in February 1952, reorganized under the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) in 1958 (later the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry or METI), and became an Independent Administrative Institution in 2003 to consolidate Japan's efforts in export promotion. The government has provided more than half of JETRO's annual operating budget. As of January 2020, JETRO maintained seventy-four offices in fifty-four countries, as well as forty-eight regional offices in Japan, with a total staff of 1,730 (998 domestic, 732 overseas). Its main office is located in the Ark Mori Building in Akasaka, Tokyo. Initially, JETRO's activities focused mainly on promoting exports to other countries.
JETRO will strengthen online support for Japanese companies to develop overseas markets in the B to B field. As the first step of the support business, it will support the overseas business of Japanese companies through the exhibition business at the world's largest B to B online exhibition Alibaba.com.
Alibaba.com has over 150 million buyers from over 190 countries/regions registered for business negotiations and transactions online. It is the world's largest online B-to-B platform not only in Asia, but also in Europe, America, Latin America, and Oceania.
JETRO will provide online business opportunities for buyers and Japanese companies from all over the world by exhibiting on Alibaba.com and supporting promotion. While overseas travel is restricted due to the spread of new coronavirus infection, we will set up a special feature on Japan on the top page and promote Japan as a “Japan” in order to appeal to foreign buyers about the appeal of Japanese products. In addition, we plan to support up to 400 companies by utilizing JETRO's export know-how and the network of trade information centers established in all prefectures*.
* Support for up to 200 new exhibitors.
1. Overview: About Alibaba.com Exhibitor Business
In fiscal 2018, JETRO started the “JAPAN MALL business” in cooperation with overseas EC sites, and has been promoting cooperation with EC platforms around the world in the B to C field. In this business, we aim to expand exports and cultivate new overseas sales channels for Japanese companies that have new B-to-B products.
JETRO will provide the following support using the know-how accumulated in the digital domain such as the analysis of access trends of overseas buyers on the Alibaba.com site and the "JAPAN MALL business" so that each company can utilize business opportunities more effectively. To do.
Support measures for companies
- Partial subsidy for exhibiting on Alibaba.com (1 year exhibition)
- Creating company/product page on Alibaba.com
- Advice on page operation
- Promotion support for exhibitors (partial subsidy for keyword advertisement space)
- Promotion for buyers* of all exhibitors (*Promotion on the Alibaba.com top page, creation of special pages for Japanese companies, etc.)
- Feedback to improve operational quality based on the access trends of exhibitor pages
- Responding to questions and consultation related to trade practice
2. Plan: Future business development
JETRO will start the "B to B Global EC Program" starting with the exhibiting business on Alibaba.com. Going forward, we will continue to utilize EC platforms around the world to support the development of overseas sales channels for Japanese companies. The target countries and partners of the project are Europe, America, and Asia.
Alibaba launches a series of 20 virtual trade shows in the U.S.
On Alibaba.com, the volume of commerce transactions has “grown more than 85%” since COVID-19 started to impact business in general. Alibaba’s fastest-growing market for new sellers and buyers is the United States, which has led that growth since Alibaba opened its global B2B marketplace to U.S. Sellers last July.
Now, Alibaba is out to build on that growth with three new services
● Alibaba.com Online Trade Shows USA, which this month will kick off the first of 20 shows designed around product categories and planned over the next 120 days. The U.S. shows are modeled after the existing Alibaba.com Global Online Trade Shows, which debuted last month to show support for companies impacted by the coronavirus and focused on the home and health products industry. That global online show “attracted more than 1 million business buyers and many hundreds of sellers over the course of two weeks,” Alibaba says.
The first U.S. show, an invitation-only event for U.S. B2B sellers and wholesale buyers in the Supplements & Nutrition category, is slated to run July 7-10. Alibaba will host that event in a partnership with the USA CBD Expo, which caters to the cannabis industry, and the United Natural Products Alliance. Alibaba is taking online applications for exhibitors and online registrations for attendees.
● Alibaba Payment Terms, which Alibaba is promoting as the first trade financing system embedded directly into a cross-border B2B ecommerce marketplace. Offered through a credit-as-a-service platform from MSTS Inc., the Payment Terms system will let buyers on Alibaba.com pay on terms of up to 60 days after a seller ships their order.
● Alibaba.com Freight, a service offered through the digital freight marketplace Freightos, is designed to let buyers on Alibaba.com arrange for bulk shipments online while comparing multiple carrier options, then booking, managing and tracking ocean and air freight shipments with real-time status updates.